If you’re looking for a serene destination filled with natural beauty in Florida, Cedar Lakes Woods and Gardens is a hidden gem you won’t want to miss. Located in Williston, about two-hour drive from Orlando, this botanical oasis offers a unique experience for nature and gardening lovers.
To get to Cedar Lakes Woods and Gardens from Orlando, depending on where you are exactly, you can take the Turnpike north to I-75 and then take exit 354 to Williston on US27. The approximately two-hour drive will take you through the landscapes of Florida and its green fields.
These gardens are located right next to Devil’s Den Prehistoric Spring, so if you want, you can plan a full day in this area, and for the Spring (it is like a cenote where you can swim/snorkeling) it is highly recommended to make reservations in advance on their web site. Still on my bucket list 🙂
Schedules and Prices
The garden is usually open every day except Wednesdays, from 9:30am to 5pm. Admission prices vary, adults are at least $12, with discounts for children and groups. It is recommended to check the updated schedules and rates in their web site before visiting. They even announced that for the holidays (December 2023) will be opening on Wednesday, so it’s very important to check their website to make sure about their operating times and days.
What to expect
- Picturesque Waterfalls and Lakes: Explore trails that wind around waterfalls and lakes. Every corner of Cedar Lakes Woods and Gardens offers a postcard-worthy view. There’s an easy path to follow and with the map they give you at the entrance will make it easier.
- Unique Botanical Collection: This garden is home to an impressive variety of plants, from Florida natives to exotic species. See orchids, bromeliads and many other botanical beauties.
- Walk among the Trees: Walk along elevated walkways that take you between the canopies of majestic trees. This view from above allows you to appreciate the lush vegetation from a unique perspective.
- Bird and Wildlife Watching: Nature lovers will enjoy the opportunity to observe birds and other wildlife in their natural habitat.
- Moments of Tranquility: Find a bench by the water or under the shade of trees and enjoy the serenity of this natural environment.
The garden is a project of love and dedication by a local resident, who has converted an old quarry into a haven for natural beauty. Be sure to bring your camera to capture the magic of this place.
Cedar Lakes Woods and Gardens is a reminder that beauty can be found in the most unexpected places. If you’re looking for a quiet getaway from Orlando and a close encounter with nature, this corner of Florida is the perfect place to explore.
The place is also dog-friendly, on leash at all times, but if you plan to visit the neighboring Springs you will not be able to visit that other point with pets.